"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

Saturday, May 7, 2011

TO MY MOTHER

"Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come." Proverbs 31:25 KJV
Dear Mama:
First of all I want to thank God that He picked you to be my mother.   When I was a child I never realized what your daily life was all about.  I only knew that I was the oldest of six children, and I used to get so weary of hearing you say, "Now Gloria you have to be a big girl and help mama with the other children, and with the housework." Mama I am so sorry that as a child I did not understand, how much you needed and depended on me.

I was the oldest of six children, the child born 2 years after me was another healthy baby girl, until she was eight months old, and then she became deathly ill.  She was in the hospital for over three weeks, her temp was so elevated that it did not register on the thermometer, that was in 1945 and there were no antibiotics then, when the fever finally left, she was completely devastated in her mind and her body, she suffered continuous seizures, at least two or three a day. She screamed night and day from pain in her head and body.  Though mama and daddy carried her to every doctor they heard of, the damage was done.  So we had to center our home and lives around trying to make her comfortable.

Soon following came four more children, and sometimes I would hear my mama pray, "Oh, God, how am I going to get through this day?'

Back then, people in their ignorance and superstition would tell mama and daddy, "well it must have been some sin in your life that you have this crazy child." You can imagine the terrible guilt that mama and daddy lived under, all the time thinking, "Lord, what did I do that you would punish my child so?"  I am so thankful that people have come to the realization that they are not the reason for children with disabilities, it is just LIFE and normal healthy children are a blessing, BUT children with severe disabilities are a blessing also.  No their pain and suffering are not a blessing, but the love that you have for them is so special that you can never define or even explain it.  I know that someday my sister Delores will be in heaven with mama and daddy, and she will be well and whole, and for that I am eternally grateful.

I realize that there must have been some days that mama would just think, how can I stand this another moment, I just wish I could walk away.  But thank you mama you never did. You were always there.    My mama was a perfectionist when it came to house cleaning.  Of course, being the "big girl" and "mama's helper", I had to do a lot of the housework while mama cared for my sister and the other babies. To this day I do not like to rake yards, mop floors,vacuum the floors dust and pledge the furniture, the smell of O Cedar Red Furniture polish still makes me gag, straighten up everything and put it in order, and hanging out clothes and folding and putting them away. But my mama taught me how even though I did not appreciate it at the time.  Thank you mama for at least training me how to keep a spotless clean house.

All of the stress that mama lived through in her younger life while her children were growing up, left its mark on her health and well being.  Her last 20 years of life were spent as years of sickness and pain, but she always told us how she loved us.

When mama's health got so bad that she could not stay at home, (at this time my daddy had already gone home to be with Jesus.)  There came a time three months before she also went home  to be with Jesus that she was almost constantly in the hospital. My baby brother would stay with her during the day while I worked, and I would stay with her at night.  We had so many wonderful talks about when I was growing up and mama would always remind me how I hated house and yard work, and I would say, "well mama you always prophesied that I would be a slovenly housekeeper," And she would always laugh and say, "well, I was right,"

The day that mama went home to be with the lord , the doctor spoke plainly to me and my baby sister and asked if we wanted mama on life support, now that is a question that no one ever wants to be asked especially if the one making the decision does not know the definite answer..   Mama would never talk about the matter with me or the other children, she just said ya'll make the decision. I asked the doctor in view of everything he had just explained about her state of health at that time was she already dying, and he looked at me with tears in his eyes and nodded yes. Her body is shutting down she will probably be gone by late tonight or early in the morning. I looked at my sister and she nodded to me, and I said, "It seems that Jesus has already taken the decision out of our hands, if she is in the process of dying, let her go peacefully."

About 2:00 am Sunday morning, I suddenly woke up, I was laying with my head on her bed, she always wanted me to have my hand on her as she slept.  Three nurses came into the room, I stood up and looked at mama, so peaceful, so serene, and I kissed her and said,"I love you my precious mama." Two breaths later she entered into HIS Kingdom.  All of a sudden I laughed, and said, "Mama you have seen Jesus, and daddy and all the ones you have been missing." I felt like an idiot for laughing, but the Joy of the Lord just filled me when I realized, she was at last free to soar and be completely without care, I was just so happy for her, the nurses told me not to be sorry that I had laughed, because what better time to be joyous than to know that someone you love is in the Holy Presence of God.

So, on this Mother's Day, have a happy mother's day mama. I love you and I will be coming to join  you and daddy soon, because I think that Gabriel has the trumpet up to his lips just waiting for the nod from God, to Blow Gabriel and call my children home.

I did not have a newer picture of mama, this one is about 17-20 years old, but represents three generations, Mama, Me and April

Precious readers if your mama is still living give her a call and tell her how much you love and appreciate her.
Copyright 2011 Gloria B. Powell. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

Aunt Angie said...

Oh Mama Doodle. You made me cry. For I remember well this time that you went through. I wanted so bad to be comfort to you--but I know in my heart that JESUS is the only true comfort--as He sends the Holy Spirit to guide/direct/COMFORT us in all our difficult days.

I love you dearly!!!!!!! Thank you for being MY MAMA DOODLE!!!